A K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa designed to allow the fiancé of a United States citizen to travel to the US and marry their partner within three months (90 days) of their arrival. Once your foreign fiancé enters the United States and you have your marriage ceremony, he or she can then choose to apply for a green card to adjust their status.

There are certain requirements that must be met in order to obtain the K-1 visa. Those requirements include:

  • The person petitioning for the visa must be a United States citizen
  • You and your foreign fiancé must be free to legally get married; you must be either single or legally divorced
  • You and your fiancé must have met in person within the past two years
  • You and your fiancé must both have the intention of getting married within 90 days of your fiancé's arrival in the United States
  • You must meet the minimum income and financial requirements to qualify for the K-1 visa
  • Your fiancé must not meet any criteria that makes him or her inadmissible to the United States

If your foreign fiancé has children, there are also K-2 dependent visas available. The K-2 visa is for children of a foreign fiancé who are younger than the age of 21 and who are not married.

Contact Donald Gross Law for a free 30-minute consultation to start the application process for a K-1 fiancé Visa.